David is an accomplished human capital consultant combining talent management, compensation, labor relations, technology, organizational design and implementation expertise. David has over 25 years’ experience working in both internal and external roles in mid-markets, global Fortune 500 organizations as well as Board experience. David works with individuals and teams to deliver large, complex projects that help organizations realize the full value of their human capital as well as with individuals as an executive coach and consultant to help them progress in achieving their career and business goals. David effectively partners with all levels of clients, from managers to executives, to develop solutions that address their business needs.
Experience and Expertise
Prior to his affiliation with The Executive Edge®, David was the Head of Human Resources and a Corporate Officer for Gentherm, 2012-2014 listed in Fortune Magazine as one of the fastest growing publically traded companies. Before that he was employed by CertainTeed Corporation, a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, a leading Fortune 100 building materials company, as the Head of Human Resources and an Officer of the Corporation. David was responsible for Human Resources including the development of CertainTeed’s nationally recognized integrated succession planning – leadership development framework, creating a sales coaching initiative to optimize sales representative time driving enhanced revenues and margins and helped to spearhead a $1.2B international merger integration and subsequent cultural transformation initiative. David’s key areas of expertise include:
- Identifying, creating and implementing human capital solutions that benefit the business
- Integrating talent assessment, succession planning and leadership development
- Creating results oriented compensation (merit, incentive, stock) programs
- Driving successful strategic labor relations with multinational and domestic unions
- Facilitating senior leadership, Board and management groups
- Implementing quality and performance improvement programs
- Interim Head of Human Resources for fast growing organizations
David has spent his career assisting organizations in transforming themselves by creating strategic focus and then aligning the design of their organizations and systems to carry out this focus. He has done extensive executive coaching and change work in start-ups, existing organizations, and mergers across numerous industries. David uses his strong business acumen as a way of building solutions that engage business leaders and help clients create and implement sustainable initiatives to overcome the issues that challenge them.
He has worked with numerous organizations and clients including EMC, Abbott Laboratories, Pfizer, Ingersoll Rand, CertainTeed Corporation, Saint Gobain, Gentherm and Truck Hero and DeVry Corporation.
David has authored chapters in three books, had a paid web column for AAAS and IEEE (largest scientific and engineering professionals’ societies) since 2008 which has been translated into multiple languages, David has also presented extensively on the topics of leadership development, career management, and reward and incentive compensation.
- “David is an extremely knowledgeable, Strategic Human Resources Executive who is very passionate about developing people and programs that best meet businesses Human Resources needs. When the business commands results he is fast to respond and make things happen. His mentoring and motivational leadership/management style positively impacted and contributed to my growth.” – Director, Talent Acquisition & Diversity/Inclusion, a $3.5B Manufacturing Company
- “He was instrumental in creating an effective process for succession planning, organizational development, performance management and compensation. His contributions certainly had a favorable impact on the bottom line.” – VP, Operational Excellence, a $4B Manufacturing Company
- “The response from the SVP Human Resources, the VP Talent Management and the President has been very positive as they are very encouraged that I am taking direct aim at my issues. They were both very pleased with the depth of the Individual Development Plan. Kudos to you for your great help without which I could not have accomplished this.” – Metro President, DeVry University
Honors and Awards
David’s succession planning – executive led leadership development program has been recognized as best-in-class by the Corporate Leadership Council, a division of the Executive Board. He is one of the few Human Resources professionals to be a multiple recipient of the Abbott Laboratories Chairman Award for his contributions to the business through his work in talent management. He has appeared on the cover of the March 2008 Human Resources Executive magazine highlighting the innovative and cost saving talent acquisition model he championed.
- The Executive Edge®: The Coaching AdvantEdge™
- Center for Creative Leadership: Benchmarks Executive 360 Assessment Tools®
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI) Certification
Education and Professional Associations
David holds a B.S. from Michigan State University and an M.A. in Human Resources from the University of Illinois School of Labor and Industrial Relations. In 2014 he was selected as a Governing Body member for the Detroit HR Leadership Summit by CHROs for CHROsTM. He was twice elected to the board of directors of DirectEmployers 2006-2009, and served on the Board of Advisors to the Human Capital Institute 2009. He is a member of the Detroit and Ann Arbor Society of Human Resources Management, a professional organization for Human Resources leaders.
More About David
David, his wife, and their two sons like to spend time attending concerts, watching sports and hiking near their home in Novi, MI; a suburb northwest of Detroit.